- Unify all Latino Midwest medical students into one organization
- Provide a voice for underrepresented medical students
- Actively promote recruitment / retention of Latino students at all levels
- Educate medical students on Latino health issues
- Advocate for the rights of Latinos in health care
- Provide leadership opportunities for Latinos
- Promote volunteerism in the Latino community
How to Start a Chapter
Check out these guidelines from LMSA National for full details and tips: Chapter Startup Guide
- You will need to elect officers and draft a constitution: Generally new chapters have a president who may or may not act as the delegate (the main contact person for LMSA) other possible officers may include a treasurer position as well as a communications officer, academics, and community service are other popular positions. The rest of your constitution usually follows the parameters for student organizations at your institution. You may wish to use the mission of LMSA and tailor to your particular groups goals.
- Send an email with the following required information to our Chief Development Officer:
- Name and Physical Address of the health professional school at which the Local Chapter is to be formed;
- Proposed name of the Local Chapter to be formed, which should, in part, contain the name “LMSA”;
- Proposed structure of the Executive Board of the Local Chapter to be formed, along with the month/season in which leadership transitions occur;
- Name, Year, and Email Address of each member of the proposed Local Chapter executive board;
- Affirmation that each member of the proposed Local Chapter executive board is in good standing with LMSA National (i.e. has paid dues) and in good academic standing with his/her home institution;
- Signed Faculty Sponsor Form: Download Here;
- Signed LMSA National & Midwest Constitution Pledge: Download Here;
- Draft Local Chapter Constitution following the format described in the New Chapter Start-up Guide distributed by LMSA National; and a
- Completed Strategic Planning Exercise Form: Download Here.
- In order to receive all the benefits of membership with LMSA please have each member register as official LMSA National members by visiting lmsa.net. See our Membership Page for full details. LMSA Members are entitled to apply for scholarships, attend conferences at a discounted rate, apply for reimbursement for travel expenses to and from conferences, as well as run for regional and national positions among other opportunities that may become available.
- We encourage you and your officers to attend the major annual LMSA meetings including House of Delegates, and the Regional and National Conferences. Please visit our Events Page for full details. We also hope you will be able to join on our quarterly Midwest leadership conference calls.
Thanks again for your interest and passion for Latino Health. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Welcome to LMSA!