Who are the chapter delegates?
Delegates are the voting body of LMSA Midwest. Each LMSA chapter is required to choose 2 delegates who will represent the chapter during regional meetings/events.
Most often, the two chapter delegates are the president or vice president, however, some schools may have a delegate position.
Table of Contents
What is the House of Delegates?
The House of Delegates (HOD) is an annual 1-2 day event that usually occurs in the fall for the Midwest delegates and the LMSA Midwest Board of Directors (BOD). HOD consists of:
(1) Leadership Development: Faculty and leaders from the Midwest region are invited to speak about leadership development, being URM in medicine, academic/ professional development, etc.
(2) LMSA Midwest Business Meeting: At the business meeting each Midwest chapter will provide a brief update on the successes/ challenges of the prior year. The BOD will provide updates on the region and may present resolutions that are to be voted on by the delegates.
Additional events such as socials/ mixers, residency panels, and service projects vary each year.
What are the Delegate’s responsibilities?
- Vote for incoming elected officers at the Midwest Regional Conference
- Vote on changes to the constitution
- Act as the primary liaison between the Midwest LMSA board (BOD) and the local chapter
- Submit your chapter report (Summer) – sample
- Attend the House of Delegates (October)*
- Attend the Midwest Regional Conference Elections Meeting (February)*
- During the conference, delegates will vote for the LMSA Midwest Board elected officials
- Forward pertinent information to chapter members
- Ensure that the chapter maintains active status
When change of leadership occurs, update the LMSA board with the names of the new delegates using the following form:
How do we maintain active status?
- Submit Chapter report
- Attend the House of Delegates
- Attend and Vote during the Regional LMSA Midwest Conference
Where do I find a list of Active Chapters?
Am I an active chapter?!
list of currently active chapters: 2021-2022 LMSA Midwest Chapters
REMINDER: It is extremely important to ensure we have the most up to date contact information for every chapter delegate, please use the following link to update your chapter’s information:
FORM TO UPDATE CONTACT INFORMATION
What happens if we do not maintain active status?
Chapters can be in 1 of 3 categories:
Active | Monitoring | Inactive
If your chapter fails to fulfill the requirements to maintain active status, it will be placed in the “inactive” category. During this time, the chapter will be unable to receive funding from LMSA Midwest.
To become active again, chapters need to fulfill all 3 requirements specified above. During this time, the chapter will be in the “monitoring” category.
If you have any questions regarding the status of your chapter, please do not hesitate to contact the Midwest Chief Development officer
Email: CDO.Midwest(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)gmail.com
I am a delegate but can't make a meeting, now what?
Delegates are expected to attend both HOD and LMSA MW regional conferences. Representation of your chapter matters, and we want each chapter to participate in voting. We also understand that schedules do not always align. So here is what to do!
If only one delegate can attend: The delegate in attendance can represent and vote on behalf of both delegates or have a proxy present to vote for them.
If both delegates cannot attend: Please identify 1-2 proxies from your chapter to attend. They will be responsible for voting during the meeting.
Please email the CDO with the name and contact information of the person/people who will represent your chapter to ensure they receive all the pertinent information.
Email: CDO.Midwest(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)lmsa.net
We love to hear it!
We have made a toolkit just for you to help you navigate your role and responsibilities, and provide resources to help you do great things with LMSA Midwest.
So what are you waiting for? Click the button